Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a condition caused by overgrowth of normal vaginal bacteria. It is a common problem in women. It is not a sexually transmitted disease (STD) but it is caused by an imbalance in the vagina.
Causes of bacterial vaginosis
There is no known actual cause of bacterial vaginosis but there are several conditions that may result in the characteristic fishy feminine odor. Anything which changes the balance of bacteria in the vagina may cause it.
- Antibiotics – These are supposed to cure bacterial infections but may end up causing problems. Antibiotics kill both the bad bacteria and also the good ones that are needed for a healthy vagina. When the bad bacteia are killed off, this allows the bad bacteria to take over. The good bacteria, particularly lactobacillus, produce hydrogen perocide which releases oxygen into the vagina. This makes it difficult for the harmful bacteria to overgrow because they are anaerobic (they grow best where there is no oxygen).
- Having sex with many different partners may increase the chances of overgrowth of bacteria
- Having a new sexual partner
- Using an intrauterine device for contraception
- Vaginal douching – This can ultimately lead to bacterial vaginosis and that dreaded fishy feminine odor because it washes away the good bacteria. It also changes the pH (acidity) of the vagina.
In spite of this, even if you are a virgin or currently don’t have any sexual partners, you can still get bacterial vaginosis.
How do you feel when you have bacterial vaginosis? Symptoms of bacterial vaginosis
You may not have any symptoms or signs at all. The most common problems you may notice with bacterial vaginosis are:
- an increase in vaginal discharge
- vaginal discharge is greyish-white and thin in consistency
- a strong fishy feminine odor, there may also be a strong fishy smell after intercourse
- discomfort of the vaginal area including soreness of the vaginal opening, burning and itching
Conventional treatment for bacterial vaginosis is antibiotics. If you go to your doctor, s/he will usually prescribe metronidazole, clindomycin or tinidazole. The problem is that you may seem to be cured initially, but quite often, your symptoms may come back. Many women have recurrent bacterial vaginosis in spite of repeated use of antibiotics. Quite often, repeated use of antibiotics conotribute to the problem of bacterial vaginosis.
Get rid of vaginal odor with Waterworks and tap water
WaterWorks Natural Vaginal Cleansing Systemis a great alternative to regular douching.
Lots of women all over the world douche as a way to clean the vagina and get rid of unpleasant or strong vaginal smells. This may be in the form of products bought at the drugstore or supermarkets or homemade douche preparations using water and vinegar.
Reasons why women douche
- It makes them feel clean.
- To wash out remnants of blood after a period.
- To avoid getting sexually transmitted diseases.
- To avoid getting pregnant after intercourse.
Unfortunately regular douching is not good for your health. Disadvantages of douching include:
- Vaginal infections – Douching can affect the normal, natural balance of bacteria in the vagina. This makes it easier for bacteria and other “bugs” that cause infection and unpleasant smells to grow and take over the vagina.
- Endometriosis – douching can also force tissue from the uterus that flows out during the menses back into the uterus and up through the tubes into the pelvis. This tissue grows and causes all the problems that go with endometriosis.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) – women who douche are 75% more likely to get PID which can affect the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries. This can lead to long term pain and even infertility.
- Problems related to pregnancy – Douching increases the risk of ectopic pregnancies where the embro implants outside the uterus.
- Cervical cancer – douching at least once a week is thought to increase the risks of developing cancer of the cervix.
So if douching is so bad for you, why should you use waterworks natural vaginal cleansing system?
Waterworks will make you feel fresh and confident all day
Using waterworks will help you to stay odor-free and fresh all day in just minutes a day. You won’t have to spend lots of money trying to hide offensive vaginal smells. You can feel fresh with just tap water.
Waterworks won’t increase your chances of getting vaginal infections
Vaginal cleansing with waterworks won’t change the pH of your vaginal. The vagina is slightly acidic which helps to maintain the natural balance in the vagina. Many douches contain harsh chemicals and fragrance some of which just hide vaginal odors instead of actually treating the cause and change the acid levels in the vagina. This change allows the bad bacteria to multiply which can cause unpleasant vaginal smells.
Waterworks uses plain tap water for vaginal cleansing which doesn’t change the acidity of the vagina and doesn’t allow the levels of bad bacteria to increase and cause odor.
Waterworks is compact and easy to use
You can use it even when you’re travelling and you can use it over and over and over again
Waterworks is reusable. Once you have it, all you need is tap water and you can use as often as you like.
Waterworks vaginal cleansing system reviews
- … No matter what I did, there was this strange smell after awhile again.It was not ‘fishy’..In any case, after a month of trying to get rid of this strange situation, after one use, IT IS GONE!I did A LOT of research on this product before purchasing it and real life accounts is what finally sold me, from various message boards. It uses your own tap water- which is almost free of charge and it does not hurt or disrupt your balance. You can feel confident with your partner during intimacy, you can feel great after intercourse by being able to rinse away any body fluids and lubricants from you. It is worth the price for peace of mind and if you think about it, if you look at your spending for these products: douches, so-called odor preventing washes and gels, you could have went on and bought this and been done with it! I prefer the natural methods- they are far more effective and not as harmful. (water, peroxide, yogurt and this!)
- … vagina is completely transformed into the most refreshed it has ever been!!!
- I am no longer embarrassed to be intimate with my husband. I love not wondering what I’m doing wrong and why this smell is plaguing me. Not to mention how wonderful it is to be able to “rinse out” after sex (that’s always bothered me). It’s a simple contraption, but if it works who cares!