What is progesterone and USP natural progesterone?
Progesterone is a steroid hormone produced from cholesterol in the ovaries by the corpus luteum (the tissue that is left behind after ovulation). It is also produced in the adrenal gland in smaller quantities. It is converted in the body to produce other steroid hormones like estrogen, testosterone, cortisol and androstenedione. The main aim of progesterone in women is to sustain any pregnancy that may arise from fertilization of the egg released from the ovary during ovulation.
Progesterone is manufactured from Diosgenin, a substance found in Mexican Wild Yam and also from soybeans. It is converted to bioidentical progesterone in the laboratory.
USP stands for United States Pharmaceutical grade. This means that the progesterone is extracted under the strictest conditions to ensure that it the same as the progesterone that is produced in your body by the corpus luteum and that it is of the highest quality. You may see wild yam creams or those with mexican yam extract. These are a total waste of money! They contain only diosgenin which is cheaper than bioidentical progesterone. It cannot be converted to progesterone in the body. It will not improve your symptoms.
Use natural, bioidentical progesterone cream for progesterone deficiency and estrogen dominance symptoms and PMS
More and more women are using bioidentical hormones to relieve menopause symptoms. Natural progesterone cream can be used to manage a number of problems that are related to hormonal imbalance.
- General guidelines for using natural progesterone
- Premenopausal women
- Fibrocystic breast disease
- Menstrual migraine headaches
General guidelines for using bioidentical progesterone cream
- Spread the cream thinly over a large area of skin for maximum absorption.
- Make sure skin is clean and clear of cosmetics. Do not apply other skin creams in the same area on the same day.
- Apply to areas like the breasts, chest, inner thighs, buttocks and neck where skin is thinnest.
- Don’t be concerned about getting the exact amount of cream correct. The progesterone is absorbed continuously from the skin.
- If you are using a large dose, split it. Use 1/3 of the dose in the morning and 2/3 at bedtime. The higher dose is especially useful if you have trouble sleeping at night.
- Buy good quality bioidentical progesterone cream from a reputable vendor. You have to be careful for the following reason
- the cream will not be effective if it is not suspended in the right medium
- creams containing mineral oil will not be absorbed properly
- the progesterone in some creams is not properly stabilized so it breaks down fast, making the cream useless
- some products containing wild yam extract don’t contain any progesterone
- some creams contain other chemicals that may cause allergic reactions and rashes